NEW HANOVER COUNTY, N.C. – Join Cape Fear Museum of History & Science, Carolina Beach State Park, Cape Fear Astronomical Society, and many other community partners for a fun-filled evening of stargazing and astronomy-themed activities on Friday, April 21 from 7 p.m. to 10 p.m. at Carolina Beach State Park, 1010 State Park Road. This year’s theme is Celebrating the Night Sky. Be part of an event that is happening statewide and bring a flashlight!
At this FREE EVENT, participants can:
- Go on a guided night sky tour of the stars and planets.
- Get up close views of the stars, planets and more using binoculars and telescopes.
- Cuddle up with loved ones and listen to star-themed stories at the Stellar Story Corner.
- Visit fun, hands-on activity stations to learn about (and celebrate!) the universe.
- Hear stargazing tips from the experts.
- Pose for an “out-of-this-world” picture with our giant glowing moon.
- Grab some giveaways and free event swag.
- Purchase and enjoy food & drink from several food trucks.
- And so much more!
Star Party community partners include:
- Cape Fear Museum of History and Science
- Cape Fear Museum Associates
- Carolina Beach State Park
- Friends of Pleasure Island State Parks
- Cape Fear Astronomical Society
- GLOW Academy
- Chick-fil-A Monkey Junction
- New Hanover County Sheriff’s Office – VIPR and Explorer Groups
- Town of Carolina Beach
- National Weather Service – Wilmington Office
- New Hanover County Public Library
- UNCW Department of Physics and Physical Oceanography
- UNCW Centro Hispano Embajadores
- New Hanover County Senior Resource Center
- Party Suppliers and Rentals, Inc.
The eleventh annual Statewide Star Party is made possible with the support of NC Space Grant and the NC Science Festival. Participating organizations and institutions across the state will be hosting sky-watching parties to help people discover the wonders of their night skies.
“We are so excited for this signature event at Carolina Beach State Park,” noted museum educator Jameson McDermott. “It will be a wonderful evening under the stars with hands-on astronomy activities that are fun for the entire family.”
Star Party will happen rain or shine. However, some activities are weather dependent. In the event of cloudy/overcast skies, telescope viewings and guided night-sky tours will be cancelled. In the event of rain, all outdoor activity stations will be cancelled and only those inside the park’s visitor center will remain, however, space and parking will be limited. Check for weather and event updates right up until the event begins at bit.ly/CFMStarParty2023
Event parking is at the marina, located at the back of the park. Parking is managed by new Hanover County Sheriff’s Office Deputies and volunteers. Complimentary shuttle service is generously provided by GLOW Academy of Wilmington. Handicap transportation via golf cart is available upon request.
Cape Fear Museum of History and Science, a Smithsonian Affiliate, is located at 814 Market Street and is open Tuesday-Saturday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. and Sunday 1 to 5 p.m. Standard admission prices are $8 for adults; $7 for seniors, students and military with valid ID; $5 for children 6-17; and free for children 5 and under and for museum members. New Hanover County residents’ free day is the first Sunday of each month. Cape Fear Museum is also a proud partner of Museums for All and offers free admission to SNAP benefit recipients when they present an EBT card. More information: www.capefearmuseum.com.